2011/12/20

Cardinal Cake

The cake one day our friends brought us was so nice and we found out it was Cardinal cake (Tarta de Cardenal in Spanish), made by two merengue type sponges and white cream filling between them. It should be served with chocolate sauce poured on top.

To hear the others, everyone seems love it. We can find a small individual one and a big whole cake for several people, and also you can buy chocolate sauce separately.

As I wanted to make it at home, I was searching for a recipe but I couldn't find any...

There is a cake also called Cardinal in Austria, made by striped sponge with merengue, and filled with whipped cream, it seems closest to what I am looking for.

Then one day I was watching a documentary on Mallorca's bakery and casually what they were making was Cardinal! I couldn't see exactly how and from what they were making but they were mixing whipped cream and merengue for the filling. The volume of the cream was of merengue

According to the information I got, I made a recipe by myself, which my Cardinal Lover friends recognize better than those we can buy. So I hope you will try this popular sweet in Spain (maybe just in Barcelona?)♪


 
Side view:I shouldn't use alminum foil, it does't look nice...

<Recipe>
Egg white                     5
Sugar                       85g
Powder sugar            55g
Almond powder        65g
Flour                     65g

1. Whip egg white adding sugar, and make merengue.
2. Sife powder sugar, almond powder and flour, and add them into 2 and cut them in until they are mixed. 
3. Put this mixture into a piping bag and pipe it from center in order to make a 22cm diameter circle(x 2)
4. Powder powder sugar on top, leave it for 10 minutes and do it once again, then bake in a oven for 25-30minutes (180℃)
5. Once cooled, fill with whipped cream (if you like merengue, you can add merengue into the cream)


Just before eating, cut it into pieces and pour chocolate sauce on top.
As the sponge is sweet, I recommend you to use dark chocolate with more than 70% cacao for chocolate sauce.

Bon profit!!!

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿